Hi Marc,

I'm in rural Norfolk, on the coast about midway between Cromer and Gt. Yarmouth.

Maybe it is surprising how well-regulated the supply is here, considering that we're right out at the extremities of the 11kV distribution. Against that though, there are almost no heavy industrial loads in the immediate area, and the sub-station feeding my little settlement has nothing but domestic loads and maybe a small 3-ph motor load at the water pumping station.

at 245 average, you must be spending a lot on light bulbs!
Not average. 245 is about the highest I've seen in the immediate neighborhood under normal conditions. That time it went over 250 was very unusual. The average is probably more like 238V.

I've been keeping a eye on the line voltage while working at my desk this afternoon:
It's now 4 p.m. Sunday, and the line is at 239V, up from a low of 234V around 1:30 p.m.

Is your area maybe suffering from excess demand? It sounds as though the PoCo might have notched up a tap or two on the transformer to compensate at peak demand times, leaving you with an idle voltage in excess of the limit.

[This message has been edited by pauluk (edited 11-07-2004).]