Originally posted by Trumpy:
The concept here is, would you ask an Apprentice to do work that you would normally refuse to do?

No... except arrive before starting time with donuts and coffee! [Linked Image]

Joking aside, look at the question in another light...

Would your "rabbi" (mentor, first journeyman, dad - whoever kept their eye on you as a budding spark) ask me to do such a task?

Would you ask a non-app to do such a task?

Lugging 10 bundles of stick up three flights? Sure... cuz if they don't, I'll have to anyway, and it's a normal part of the work.

Hauling cases of 500' wire spools? Yep.

Bust all day behind a hammer drill on your knees mounting 30 1900 boxes in a basement? Uh huh.

Pull a few hundred feet of fish tape and wire through raceways. Of course.

Wallow face first in a drain ditch chasing an imaginary UF cable? Probably not, unless they were being a real PITA. [Linked Image]

I don't think it's out of line to have your apprentice (obviously, once they develop the skillset) do all your "menial / grunt" work - especially if you're the one who's got to read the plans, plot your runs, you know, journeyman / master level work.

Other than the occasional "one of the boys" prank (no lasting scars, no workman's comp-worth claims), I'd keep the work steady, the expected results known, and the feedback honest.