I have a guy thats been working for me for almost 2 years. He's now a 4th year apprentice, he's completed all of his classroom time and if he ever decides to hand in his application he can take his journeymans exam. He's a nice kid with one major problem - he has a hard time getting out of bed in the morning! It might be 10 minutes here, 15 minutes there and then once every couple of months a no show.

Why do I put up with this crap you ask? Because the kid is an unbelievable electrician. His work is perfect - fast, neat, he can troubleshoot. The panels the kid makes up are so nice it's a shame to put the cover on. He also never has a problem working late if needed.

I've had talks with him, insisting he start showing up on time but to no avail. Now it seems to be causing problems with my other employees. They feel he is getting special treatment and they are right. There are days I want to can him but I don't want to bite off my nose to spite my face. I often feel I am walking fine line between being a peolple pleaser and a disciplinarian.

What are some techniques people use to get the most from their employees?