I hope I don't get run out of Dodge by bringing up multiwire circuits (I still tend to call them Edison circuits even though the configuration, I believe, was intended for DC as Edison HATED AC as most folks know).

Anyway, I have two pairs of existing Edison circuits (four circuits total) that I do not intend to completely re-wire since they work just fine. However, one of these pairs feed the outlets in my kitchen which I would like to GFCI-protect; the second pair feeds the clothes washer and a freezer outlet which I'm debating about GFCI retrofitting.

My questions are:

1) I intend to use two-pole GFCI breakers to accomplish this- are they prone to nuisance tripping in this type of setup?

2) I heard somewhere that GFCI outlets can be used on these IF they are installed at the end of the circuit run(s); is this true?

Yes, multiwire or Edison circuits are like oysters, we either seem to love them or hate them (my brother despises them something fierce but I don't mind them myself); nonetheless, they do have their place. I do not intend to start a debate (war??) on this configuration but merely have some questions on GFCI protection on these types of circuits.

Thank you in advance.

No wire bias here- I'm standing on neutral ground.