You might try Sunstar Lighting... but their minimums seem awfully high.

I'll confess to using the Box... biggest advantages compared to my local Electrical Contractor Supplier (ECS) is that they are reasonably competetive, closely located, as well as having better (longer) hours. They will start gouging once you get out of the Romex/1/2" EMT area, though. Probably due to (lack of) everyday sales.

As for the few items that the Box is lower on? I usually follow a "15%" rule. If my local ECS is within 15%, I'll give him the biz instead. Of course, his being the only ECS in our "economically challenged" community allows me a feeling of contribution to the community as well.

Besides, many of the folks working at the Box don't know the codes (Nat'l or local).

[short story] Was installing a 220 run for a dryer in St. Louis for my girlfriend (before she became my wife). Pulled an unused breaker from the panel, and asked her to stop bythe Box and pick one up.
A "pro" in the electrical dept. told her that "Only a licensed electrician can buy breakers, little lady" (she was 28, and 5'8" - and not exactly little")

She called me later than evening and was PISSED!!! I went down there that weekend, license in hand, to confront the "pro"... he wasn't working.
Have had similar situations at the Box (asked for Siemens breakers & got told they don't have them, until we asked where the nearest Lowe's was, and suddenly "oh, you want just breakers? They're over here"

Pretty much isolated to StL area, but still better advertising for my local guys! [/short story]

[This message has been edited by DougW (edited 01-22-2004).]