Attic Rat,
Yes, a switch-board is what us New Zealanders refer to a CB Panel as.
andy,Mean Gene,
Sorry, but I really got time to take any pictures, I was more concerned with re-instating the supply to my and all the other houses on the blocks around here.
But the Tranny is still in the yard at work, I'll see if I can get some pics of it on Monday morning, it's not looking very happy!. [Linked Image]
Bjarney,
I agree, there is no predicting an occurence like this one, nothing short of leaving your Main Switch off, until you need to use some power, would minimise the chances of it happening.
With regard to liability, the Lines company responded an assessor to check out the damage on Xmas Eve and I am told that they will fully re-imburse everyone for all property, etc lost (as they should!).
I gave the Line Crew a hand to change over the Xformers and it was so hot that you could have put it in your Lounge and heated the whole room, but the thing never burst into flames during the fault.
BTW, a Line Cross is called a Blow-Over, here.
Paul,
At least the Lines Co couldn't be accused of lack supply voltage.
Just think how quick you could cook a Turkey in an 11kV oven! [Linked Image].

Power outages and HV cable faults are taken VERY seriously over here, especially after the big outage in Auckland, a few years back, the media usually get a good chance to lambast whoever is responsible, even if they don't know who exactly that is. [Linked Image]