Originally posted by Dspark:

>It seems kinda dangerous to me, being that if the main neutral ever gave up.
No, there is decreased danger when bonded compared to the alternative.

>It's load has to go somewhere doesn't it? What if your taking a shower and it decides to use you as its path?
That is not possible if everything metallic is properly bonded.

You are worried about something that can't happen. And you are trying to avoid something that can't happen by creating the potential for real dangers.[/B]

I beg to differ with you Dspark. I have been on many trouble calls where someone is getting shocked from the kitchen sink even to the shower. In all cases the culprit was a bad neutral connection. Alot of folks notice the lights dim/bright(bad neutral) but fail to call the utility to check it out. Most times on these calls I will ask the customer how long has it been doing this? 85% of the time they will tell me that it has been like that for a couple of weeks. Yea weeks!! That tells me that it started way before 2 weeks ago in order for the ground rod to bake out and be of no more use. Then that is when the shocks come into play. I have found voltage line to neutral at full line to line voltage!! 240 big ones [Linked Image] . Mind you that is extreme cases. But just think for a moment,
N-L1=0 v
N-L2=240 v
L1-L2=240 v

That neutral is looking for a path back to its source(transformer). If you just so happen to provide that path then you are in for a big surprise. [Linked Image] The pipes in the house will be energized, but more than that they will be carrying the full neutral load of the service!! Voltage does not kill but amperage does. Getting into "series" with a neutral that has a load on it will kill you quicker than if you stick your hand into a hot buss.

If it were a perfect world there would be no need for grounds at all but it is less than perfect. So I do agree that the plumbing should be bonded so that they are at or near earth potential. But to say that something cannot happen, well it does and will continue. Probably not to the point of death but.......

Just remember that a neutral is "THE" most dangerous conductor there is in the electrical field.