I went to the meeting today. Right now we are just giving them budget numbers based on a rough floor plan and general scope. I found out they don’t want to get a permit due to the time frame. If they go ahead with the project (provided the numbers pencil out) they will need it done very quickly. The original jobs plan check took about 10 weeks and there won’t be time for that. They are not apposed to getting one; it just impacts the schedule enough that it could cancel the entire project. One thing I found interesting is that we are the only sub that has not bought into it. The GC will only act as a construction manager. The subs will be hired direct by the owner. This isolates the GC from liability. The owner is willing to take all responsibility in writing.
Like I said, it’s not my call. I have to update the upper management tomorrow about what is going on. I am going to recommend we stay involved for now working up budget numbers and see how it pans out. When things become more of a reality we can visit the legal ramifications of things with the owner. My biggest concern is the redesign and rework of the fire alarm system. It is a very sophisticated system. We could probably spend more time and money defending ourselves if something happens down the road that the entire project is worth. Even if we are exonerated. They know our position, but they are also a real good customer. I would hate to take a stance and then the project doesn’t get done anyway. Then when the next legitimate one comes around, we probably won’t be considered. I will be working, with the help of the GC, to push the project into plan check in the mean time. In todays sue happy society, it hardly seems worth the risk not to.