Originally Posted by NORCAL

American clothes dryers & cooking equipment require a neutral and a 120/240V center tapped system, the heating elements work just fine, but 120V motors & controls & lights will not work for long on 230V L-N.

I installed (as was the customers wishes) , a 400V/ 240/120 centre tapped transformer on the other side of the wall
to the switch-board (panel), this was not a small investment, it was sized to the loads that the customer told me he would have and I oversized it accordingly, because he didn't really know what he was talking about.
This required a second panel, because you need to keep the "local" and the "foreign" stuff seperate.

What a nightmare that turned into, there were 3 phase pumps for water and sewerage, because the place wasn't on
"town supply" , but a well and the outflow pump for the sewerage was 500metres down the road from the place, so that it could be pumped into the town sewer pipe. crazy

I commissioned it all, up on livening the whole thing and got really weird readings from the 240/120V tranny, it turned out I'd got two of the connections backwards.

The guy's "wife" then said that I wasn't going to be paid, for the whole thing, because I was apparently incompetent.

They then bought the guy's "wife's" brother over from Colorado to "inspect" what I'd one.
He told me it looked "pretty good", yet he was a telco technician. mad

I have 75% of what I'm owed, they don't even answer the phone or e-mails now and it's so far away that I can't go down and pull the pillar box fuses. grin