Originally Posted by Potseal

It's amazing what some people will do when they panic or just don't stop and think.

Our shop's safety officer will routinely jump in a vehicle and not wear a seat belt because we're travelling a distance that is a few minutes away (unless I'm driving then we don't move until it's on). But get caught without hearing protection or such and he's all over you.

Dwayne,
There is absolutely NO reason in this day and age where people should be in a moving vehicle with no seat-belt on.
I had an apprentice once that used to do the same thing every time he'd get in the passengers seat of my work ute,
I happened to say to him about this one day, as it was getting really tiring asking him to put his seat-belt on, constantly.
Upon asking him wether his attitude to electrical safety was the same as his attitude to wearing a seat-belt and why there seemed to be a difference, he couldn't give me a definitive answer to that, but the seat-belt started getting used all the time after that. cool

Originally Posted by SteveFehr

I read an interesting academic study about safety a few years ago: the researchers discovered people simply do not accurately assess personal risk, and that the only reason most people wear proper PPE and follow proper safety precautions is because their boss forces them to.

Yeah Steve, I see this all the time, I mean seriously, if you're complaining that your earmuffs make your ears sweat or your hard-hat messes your hair-do up, you need to take stock of your career choice. grin
The attitude that a person only wears PPE, because their employer requires them to, is totally wrong.
I have been in so many dangerous situations in my working life that to NOT wear the appropriate PPE, seems not only stupid, but bordering on criminal negligence, should an accident occur.
Over here in New Zealand, it is the employer that will get stung with HUGE fines by WorkSafe here, not the employee that was not intelligent enough to follow common-sense, when working with an elevated risk level.