I just found an old textbook from Austria that clearly states that in TT single-phase circuits it was still perfectly acceptable to fuse the neutral by 1972! The book also points out that fusing the neutral of a 3-phase supply or worse the PEN is a super-bad idea.

That explains the large number of fused neutrals in Vienna and the surrounding areas I'd say. Not sure when fused neutrals were eventually banned but my guess would be mid-80s or maybe even early 90s. In theory you're supposed to replace the neutral fuse with a solid link whenever you work on such an installation but nobody ever does - either nothing at all or the entire consumer unit is replaced. When we had our meter moved in 2003 the electrician connected the new supply to the old main fuses without as much as blinking so we still have a fused neutral ahead of the meter.

I do know people who got bit because they only unscrewed the neutral fuse, saw that the lights went out and thought the circuit was dead. Especially since very very few people bothered to label any fuses back in the day.