127/220 V systems were mainly retrofits of 220/440V Edison DC systems because the existing cables could be used. Generally no neutral was supplied but there were some exceptions to this rule. The main difference between the "two Germanys" was that the western part phased out those non-standard systems much earlier. In the eastern part some have survived until today and are gradually being replaced.

Vienna (where I live) also replaced the last of its 19th-century DC supplies with 127/220 V AC in the 1950s but moved over to 220/380 V later. I think the last old supplies were converted in 1978. Fused neutrals are partly a legacy of those systems but were also used in 220/380 V supplies, probably out of habit. I know a 1960 block of flats where they seriously wired half the flat I worked in for 220/380 and half as if it were 127/220! There were two circuits,one had the standard black phase and grey neutral for 220/380 and the other just had two greens plus red earth. The incoming mains was 4 wire (no earth, that came from the water mains in the kitchen), grey neutral and three yellow phases but each circuit had two fuses, except for the cooker (a 3-phase 16 A connection).