The Saga continues ....

Task: Getting windows installed. Contractor "A" left the old windows at the curb for the next trash pick-up. Contractor "W" took the trash away. Guess which left a better impression? (I'm thinking of the times I left old service masts for the customer to deal with ... shame on me!)

Task: Getting air conditioning quotes. Not intending to 'call every name in the book,' but .... the first guy was completely non-responsive (no return call), the next too never did find time to come out to see the job, the next several .... well, it sounded like my call interrupted either their afternoon nap, or a good time at the local bar. One guy had a web site but no e-mail, and did not return calls. Mind you, ALL of these guys had real licenses and Yellow Page ads.

So far, I've had ONE response .... and his price is double the most expensive 'guess' I can make. Remember, I have a pretty good idea of the equipment costs, labor involved, and shop rates.

I dropped in on two of the larger shops yesterday. One is supposed to come out today, and the other asked for my to prepare a sketch, etc., for their review before they come out.

Meanwhile, various folks have urged me to approach an unlicensed co-worker who does 'side work' to circumvent various court orders. It amazes me that I seem to be the only one who sees anything wrong with that 'solution.' Good heavens, I don't pay hundreds of dollars every year to keep MY licenses current- just to hire some pretender!

Oddly enough, one of the HVAC contractors I met yesterday is actually an EC ... but also has the HVAC licenses. There might be some merit to that idea, for many of us.

During this quest, I've learned quite a bit about the 'technical' side of things. Short version: get ready to see a lot more VFD's, multi-speed motors, and fancy controls in household equipment.

On the topic of costs .... while I've made it plain that I'm looking for a BETTER solution, rather than 'the cheapest possible' solution, I've encountered some resistance from folks. They are so accustomed to assuming I'm just being 'cheap' that they can't break out of their ruts.

Nor, it seems, are they accustomed to looking at the 'big picture.' While a 'conventional' air conditioner might cost a lot less than a 'mini-split' system, that quick comparison does not take into account the other costs (furnace replacement, ductwork) or the zone control advantages of the mini-split.

So far, none have made the slightest effort to 'upsell' me to a more efficient unit. It's as if they've given up.

The moral is: when someone asks for your professional opinion, think about how you can present them with a few choices. Set the stage for them to say 'yes,' rather than sowing the seeds of distrust by telling them too little.