Job update,

well, it's been a while since i've been on a job this big. I can honestly say i was rather worried about being slow on the draw, and did quite a lot of safety related reading, but methinks now all that angst might have been in vain. Right now, this is the biggest job in southern Vermont, every bureaucrat , agency , and especially politican has made a point of imparting their blessings here. I call it the world leader training ground.

I started out in the winter setting up the temp for the job, it was a particulary bad winter here, with grumblings from the most stoic old farts. So, per usual, the zoot suits, mucklucks, and goofy hats were the order of the day, along with hammer drills for frost, shoveling to meter locations, etc. The entire project fronts the river /mainstreet, the back has all the old millhouses which are now low rent, along with a number of condemed derelic buildings left unoccupied. I have had no less than one man per day walk up to me as i working the ugly side asking for employment. At that time , i was the only participant, other than two locals , Ted & Bob ,who had been hired at the start of demolition phase, almost 3 years back.

Meanwhile, the powers that be started out with illegals here. They were put up in one of the abandoned buildings , which were purchased for them for a song, and worked 7 days a week until the border patrol outsed the lot of them, with one young man transported to Canada, and summarily dumped with a $50 bill, couresty of the state of VT. Calling in explaining his court date was something like 17 months off, Ted took pity and went up to fetch the young buck , assumably he's made his way back home.

The demolition phase left much of the older structure open to the weather, which wouldn't be a concern save for the 4160 UG primary and Xformers that enter from the street and are positioned on the lowest central level , constantly under the threat of deluge this spring. There was much in the way of sump pumps , as well as roof drain maintenance this spring. Over a number of years, the demoltion has resulted in this service having multiple tentacles shut down without any LOTO, some nema 1 JB's out in the weather wrapped in garbadge bags, some open/hanging 4/0 or lager runs with icelces melting The 'metal men' literally swept through shutting off , and pulling out whatever CU or AL they could, leaving what they couldn't. I don't think i've seen a bigger electrical hazard in my entire carear run right on under the noses of so many people who should, by rights, have mentioned it

Next came the HB-1 legal aliens. They'll work a striaght 14 days, then go back to Virgina (or wherever) for a week off. It kinda pisses me off that so many locals have asked me who/what/where is the job deal, only to have them realize these folks beat them out, but it's all on the up/up, and to be honest , looking at the letter of the HB1 law, who wouldn't want to take advantage of it? One apparently being somewhat intimidated, left the other day on the excuse of not agreeing with Vermont water. The notion of a Mexican unable to digest Vt water was something of a chuckle on the job

The only downside here is that breaking all the rules seems to be a badge of honor, even the inspectors that find unlicensed workers (other than 'lectrical) seem politically hobbled from busting a move. OSHA as well as the EPA have had their say as well, i'm hearing both aren't pleased of late, it's like some sort of standoff. One can smell the consumation of big $$$ and political influence having it off ....

Anyways, the son & and i are on our best behaviour here, wearing all our safety bells and whistles. It's a good job to be apprenticed on, and he's all signed up and bona fide with the state's blessings (i guess the #'s are down) I'm trying my best to impart to him what i can of the trade, particularly the safety aspects. I was brought into this trade at a time when such ideals weren't a very big concern, very few educational avenues existed. And while I don't see eye/eye with the shill safety biz, i do think a tad different when my own flesh/bloods doin' the tool belt strut, and am having to stand my ground and serve as example , good for me to clean up my act as well, eh?.

Wish me luck fella's

~S~