Hi,
In my jurisdiction I am not allowed to do my own electrical, so I have had several "qualified" electricians visit and quote me on the extent and cost of the work required to bring an old gutted kitchen up to code, or better. To prepare myself to evaluate these quotes, I read the appropriate sections of the 2009 CEC. However, it appears that some electricians don't understand the CEC guidelines, or maybe the wording in the document is so ambiguous at times that even they (and myself) are confused by its lack of clarity. I retired after 40 years in a telecommunication job that required understanding highly technical installation and test documents, so electrical terminology is not new to me. However, I find the CEC document very difficult to follow at times.

Here is my understanding of the CEC in relation to the layout of my "new" galley style kitchen and how I think it should be upgraded. I would like some feedback on my understanding (or lack thereof) and my choices.

1/ Fridge - 15A breaker 14/2 wire - no other outlets connected. OK

2/Microwave (over-range) 20A breaker 20A T slot receptacle in cabinet above unit - 12/2 wire - no other outlets connected. (I couldn't find any rule clearly indicating the recommended/required circuit amperage in the CEC, but 20A seems to be the smartest choice.)

3/ GFCI 20A T slot receptacle(within 1m of sink) 20A breaker 12/2 wire. My understanding of the CEC is that a single 20A branch circuit for a kitchen counter-top area can connect to only two receptacles MAXIMUM. In my adjacent-to-sink situation, it looks like I can use a configuration with one GFCI receptacle(Line side connection) and one other 20A T slot non-GFCI (Load side connected off GFCI) receptacle/circuit. (This rule seems to cause the greatest amount of confusion.) Am I correct in interpreting the CEC this way? If so my plan would be to use two 20A T slot GFCI, one on each side of the sink with their loads connected to two non-GFCI 20A t-slot receptacles located above the counter-top across the kitchen. This brings the counter-top receptacles above code - all GFCI. It also eliminates hassles with 3-wire split receptacle arrangements and double pole breakers (which I probably can't get for my old congested panel anyway).

4/ 16" counter-top (left of stove). It appears this area should have its own single branch circuit (rule confusing in CEC - for me at least.) Again, since it is only a matter of time before the CEC requires all counter-top receptacles to be GFCI (like in the NEC) I would rather choose to have a 20A breaker 12/2 wire put in place. The choice is then mine whether to use a non-GFCI or GFCI receptacle at this time.

5/ Overhead lighting will be on the existing wiring.

6/ 30" electric range - wiring existing 8/3 wire - 40A breaker

7/ "Convenience" outlets and under-cabinet lighting - generally 15A. Some electricians said they would multiple from the 20A appliance receptacles to power these up. If I have already MAXED the GFCI set-up in 3/, only the receptacle in 4/ could be used. Is it acceptable to supply these kitchen convenience outlets from the counter-top supplies (assuming they are not MAXED?

Thanks.