This is a Saskatchewan interpretation, from the SaskPower web site:
6-206 (1)(e) Service Equipment:
As close as practicable shall not exceed 6 conduit meters. Where the service box or other consumer’s service equipment is located beyond 6 conduit meters from the point where the service conductors enter the building, the conductors shall be run in threaded rigid metal conduit for the entire length.
I like the definite rule, but wonder about the validity of an interpretation. At least they put it in writing.

The real situation is that a carpenter built a house and planned the meter location and panel location based on this rule. However, the panel could be in the basement bedroom and be closer to the meter. It could be practicable to have the panel in the bedroom.

So I put the panel in the furnace room, as far as 6m of conduit would reach. That seemed practicable in light of the interpretation.

I know I could phone the inspector, but I think I should be able to rely on my own judgement. I have a code book too. Anyway, I'm not sure that the inspector should be making the call and doing the inspection. It's too much like inspecting his own work.

What is the interpretation of practicable where you are?