While I can see your point about not adopting what some might consider a bad code, keeping track of what is and isn't allowed under different versions is a royal PIA. I remember asking a chief inspector if I could use something that had been changed in a later version vs the edition that jurisdiction had adopted. He said absolutely not. He had asked the legal department for that county and was told if he allowed that he would be breaking the law. I really can't see if it is safe enough on one side of a county line why it would be unsafe on another side. Of course that is all before you get the lawyers involved.
The flip side of the legal issue could be when you are held to the more recent standard that is adopted elsewhere even tho it is not adopted. Kind of like what you did was legal under past codes but gets twisted into it could have been safer under more recent codes and you should know better as a professional.