I just thought of this, if AFCI and GFI's are compatible technologies why does the code leave out AFCI protection for kitchen and bath receptacles? Are these circuits somehow inherently safer and installed better therefore arc faults do not or cannot occur in them?
The reason is that AFCI’s will nuisance trip constantly when used with certain types of motors, especially the universal motors found in many small appliances.
They probably have known issues with split-phase motors found in clothes washers, as well as things like hair dryers etc, that contain heating elements switched under load, since the NEC doesn’t require them in laundry or bathroom areas either.
I have to believe that the code making panel was made aware of these issues from the manufactures at the get go and I have little doubt that this is the only reason why their use was not mandated in those areas.