I did 14 months as an electrical mechanic in Alberta in the late 70's. The work was very interesting and my boss was trying to convince me to also take on an electronics apprenticeship with another company. IE they would share me. The work was steady and certainly less capricious than construction but it was dirty, very dirty. I had to go on at least a weeks vacation before the black even faded from my hands, never mind the condition of my lungs. I eventually quit and moved to Victoria where I started my apprenticeship in construction. In 1982 I barely worked at all and it was rough. I went back to work about 4 weeks after my unemployment insurance expired and was working in a program to extend it and keep my apprenticeship alive. I did go back to work and since that day I was unemployed maybe 2 weeks for layoff.
I am now the Chief Electrical Inspector in Victoria since October 23,09. I never really wanted to be a construction electrician so I always said I know how to do it, whenever there was a chance to do anything new. It has been a very rewarding 30 years and although I occasionally say if only I knew then what I know now I would have gone to college to learn engineering I doubt that I could be any more satisfied with my choice to work in this industry. I am never bored, there is always something new to learn and the pay is good too. In fact I probably do as well as a few of those that went to university and got a degree.
As long as you find the work rewarding it is worth the uncertainties but you have to always improve and expand your skills. You will go much farther with a good work ethic and attitude than on smarts but smarts help too.
Good luck