We do it differently here in quebec.

I went to school for 15 months or 1400 hours (applicable to apprenticeship). Then we find an employer to guarantee us 150 hours and we get hired. After said 150 hours we are official apprentices. We then work to 8000 hours (including 1400 from school) and write our exam. There is no actual apprenticeship program as in Ontario or certain other places like the us.

It would be a complete lie to say I wasn't in it for the money to a certain degree, I went to school to better myself and make a decent living. I was miserable at my last job and wasnt making a good living so I went back to school. I really enjoy my trade and spend time trying to learn as much as I can and do as much as I can on the side helping friends just so I can learn and expand my repertoire of skills.

My issue has been job stability in this trade. Quite a few people have told me how they spent 20 years going from job to job, on unemployment, etc and even though they made a decent salary, they spent so much time off they never really were able to see it.

I plan on following some industrial automation courses, but since I am on the beck and call of my boss I cant plan to go to school in the near future.

In our collective agreement construction electricians make 34 and hour, but have no job stability. Go to a hospital or government setting with great benefits and job stability we make 21 an hour and have less interesting work to do.

I have loved every minute of my 2300 hours worked so far, but sometimes I wonder if I should look for stable, but less financially rewarding and less interesting work or risk being in the fluctuating labour market.

I would say 50% of tradesmen I know make great money, have rewarding jobs and never look for work while the other 50% are always in and out of jobs, taken advantage of employers and get treated like dirt because the bosses know they can get away with it.

Its a very tough road and the decision isnt a clear cut one. I just wanted to get a feel what other electricians have been through in their careers before I make any decisions about mine.