Sometime during what must have been my first month or so I was sent under the house to catch some cables, run them back to another up hole and staple them off.

The crawl was roomy near the access but tapered off to about 18" or less at the far end and the ground was rocky.

I put some staples in my back pocket and grabbed a hammer and flashlight and started crawling. After running the wire back I started stapling my way back to the tight end. As it got tighter I decided to put a few staples in my mouth to save the trouble of reaching into my back pocket in the cramped conditions.

At the tightest spot I still had a staple in my mouth as I was laying on my back starting a staple with the hammer. A piece of insulation fell into my face and i flinched, causing me to get the staple half stuck in my throat.
I turned on my side and tried to dislodge it but it wouldn't come out. I had no choice but to commit and swallow it.

Back outside I told the boss what had happened and we wondered whether I should go to the hospital or not. I decided that they couldn't do anything but let nature take its course and that is just what it did.

It took many months to live it down and the staple is currently hanging on a push pin in the wall above my desk.