Trumpy, the fused plug, and the ring main is far from extinction in the UK, and is still being fitted in new build. [If there was any new build at the moment that is!] I never saw any distribution boxes with fuses as new installations in the UK for thirty years. I used mcbs with rcds in the distribution box in a UK house remodel I did in 1978. Actual loadings of modern lifestyle use in real household situations are now quite low, apart from electric cookers, immersion heaters and of course, the dreaded DIY shed-cum-workshop and these are all usually wired as discrete circuits as spurs. Most houses in the UK with a DIYer in residence usually run an unbelievable number of double or treble outlets, as some sort of Chav* fashion statement! DIY use is where the real risks of overloadings occur, particularly with welders and big woodworking machines illegally installed by 'weekend warriors' without 'Part P' Local Authority approval or inspection. Is that our concern if these idiots illegally burn their houses down? In theory a 2.5mm ring main doubles the area of wire, to 5mm, as one is actually running 2 cables to each outlet socket. The 13A fuse is discrete to each appliance.
Electric Storage radiators are usually wired on their own circuit.

But politics is the real hurdle to the UK switching to a Shuko or French style plug. The furore that erupted from the public the last time this was mooted was indescribable! We have EU elections coming up on June 4, and with the present sleaze revellations of our MPs expenses, the anti Europe parties may grab a fair lump of the electorate. [I particulary liked the story of the Peoples' Representative who claimed over 8000 bucks to rewire his entire apartment because a light bulb exploded!]

Chav? Google; chav wikipedia

Alan

Last edited by Alan Belson; 05/25/09 06:31 PM.

Wood work but can't!