Originally Posted by SteveFehr
What's sad is they'd spend all this money to put this system in Alberta, when, environmentally, they'd have been far better off to have paid to put a grid-tie-only system on the house of a low income family in the arizona desert, which would have provided a MUCH larger offset than the grid power they'd consume in their own house. Probably have gotten 3-4x more energy for their dollar. Would have been even better to have invested in an energy company making an even more efficient commercial-sized solar farm.

Oh well, it's their money.

Why do you think that the money would be better spent in Arizona? Both Arizona and Alberta would get roughly the same amount of daylight during the course of the year.

I'm not a meteorologist, but if I remember my high school science correctly, the equator gets 12 hours of daylight and 12 hours of darkness everyday of the year. The north pole gets 24 hours of daylight during the summer and 24 hours of darkness during the winter. The South pole gets 24 hours of daylight during the winter and 24 hours of darkness during the summer. But all 3 average the same amount of daylight during the course of the year. The same is true for all areas in between the poles and the equator.

Or have I forgotten a key lesson from 30 years ago?

Bruce