jwDawg

My vote goes with getting hired as an apprentice. If you're going to take classes (which I strongly recommend) don't waste your money on the home study courses by PCDI or other equitable ones (unless an employer requests it). If you're good at home study, then go to the book store and purchase some good books. Either way, you'll only get the basics, but the book store is cheaper. Call your state or local licensing authority, talk to electricians and ask about continuing education classes. You'll get a list of private and public institutions that conduct them. Combine your basic education with apprenticeship, developing a working relationship with local electricians and the continuing courses and you'll get there. I was 43 when I started and I love the work, so work and study hard and you'll get there. I run my own business now. As for this forum, you'll get a world of education here, but beware that electricians are not the most tactful folks around, but our bark is worse than our bite.
Welcome and good luck.
Bob