As an inspector I am coming across electricians that I would trust my life to! These are some real pros - doing fantastic work, both neat and correct- no cutting corners. I am glad to see their company listed in the computer tied to the permit number, as I know it will be a good inspection before I even go out to the job.
Then I come across those who still can't spell ELECTRICITY. I went to a job the other day were the "electrician" ran all mc cable, no problem with that. It would have been nice if they would have supported it! They just came out of the boxes up the wall ,over to the next location, ran it down the wall to the box. NO supports. These are all open metal stud walls. Told them they need to support the cable and all of the sudden they could not speak English anymore - no lie they were speaking English when I went in and introduced myself to them, started to tell them of their violations and they no longer spoke English - just some Asian language ! I found the super and gave him a list of the violations and posted the violation sticker and left. I had an EC call me for a consultation just to ask me how to do a job - Not to find out about code requirements but to find out how to do something. I do not design their jobs , too much liability.
OH well sorry to rant - back on track-
I think there are qualified electricians out there and will always be, Just as there are those who are less qualified. The market is changing and the field is becoming more specialized. It is just that we seem to find those who are less then qualified first and remember them and seem to overlook the ones who are good and just do their job with no issues. The old squeaky wheel thing. Squeaky wheel gets the grease, but can also be the first replaced.