As most of you know, NJ has State wide licensing of Electrical Contractors, as well as plumbers, Architects, PE/EE, Locksmiths, Cosmetologists, Hairdressers, FireAlarm, Burg Alarm, Surveyors, Home Improvement Contractors, and more then I feel like typing.

One person holds the EC Lic (Business Permit) and is ultimatley responsible for anything/everything done under that Lic/BP. There are a lot of other details/rules, but again, I'm not a typist.

Yes, we have licensed professionals, and I'm sorry to say...we also have some licensed non-professionals. I could call them butchers, or other terms, but I'm not.

All the rules/laws in-place, yes, we still have unlicensed people doing electrical, plumbing and probably everything else that a license is required for. (Including veternary and medical doctors).

What can we do about it? A written, specific complaint to the State Board of Licensed Electrical Contractors. Follow up witah any additional info they may request, and a few get 'caught' and face monetary fines. You cannot file a complaint over the phone, and it must be on the correct form, that you can download.

As an AHJ, I have filed the complaints, and followed thru with additional info, but sad to say a few times no results were achieved. We find HO's that take out permits, and get an unlicensed person to actually do the work, which puts the HO on the hook for filing false documents, and may lead to a $2000 fine. It's an annoying situation.

Hacks? I have my share, but..I also have my share of pros.

Yes, todays EC has to learn that THHN, NMC, AC/MC are not the only wires he can install! Learn, or hire someone to do Cat6, CCTV, Alarms, Audio/Video, Smarthouse, and all that 'other low-volt stuff'; it's $$$$ and work.

PS: WE cannot be a trade that gets absorbed, I tell the apprentices that I teach that this is a good trade; they have to know that they start at the bottom, and if they preservere, they can get to the top!

Off the soapbox....

John