0) according to table 19 and 12-100 not a permitted use
1)can do that with rw90 and a piece of LT flex.
2)Can do that by putting a piece of PVC over the cable so there is 8 or 12 inches buried and some above ground. I like to see that for any cable going into the ground where it could be damaged at grade.
2B) I wish I could remember where I read this but there are specific wiring tricks that are very effective at protecting from rodents. I read a long article last year that described specific tips for running loomex in rodent infested areas that mitigates their Gnawing behaviour. If you are going to install a raceway to protect against rodents then why put loomex in the pipe after? short sections of pipe are already accepted as providing mechanical protection and should be permitted.
3) Pipe and wire again as well as cheaper and probably easier.
4) I need an example of this.
5) Finally someone brings this up. Here is the biggest reason the inspector has an untenable position. It is very common practise to allow the use of poly pipe like for street lighting where a tractor and a direct bury digger drive down the boulevard and bury a 1" pipe. Later the electrical contractor comes and installs a cable or single conductors approved for direct burial into the pipe after. I can't recall where this is permitted but it does beg the question why is it OK in poly pipe that is not even an electrical product but not OK in PVC?