Originally Posted by SteveFehr
UK power is 230V 50Hz, with 3 wide square prongs. You could buy a few UK-style outlets, and connect them 240V 60Hz 15A, which would make plugging british-corded appliances easy to plug in, but code compliance becomes an issue since finding UK style outlets listed for 60Hz may be a challenge.

Listing is not the only code issue. See NEC 210.6(A) through 210.6(A)(2).

FYI, I want to connect my computers to 240V. I'm expecting to "get around" 210.6(A)(2) via a UPS that exceeds 1440VA.

Originally Posted by SteveFehr
You only need to provide 230V power to the lamp and train, which can be done cheaply via small cord-and-plug transformer with no electrical mods required.

These devices will need a 2-pole power switch to be properly safe on North American (Edison style) 240V system. Every computer SMPSU I have opened up does have a 2-pole switch. Lamps need to be using a base that has no opportunity for finger contact to a live conductor, even if a 2-pole switch is used (e.g. no standard screw base, and maybe not even certain bayonet bases). My understanding from friends in Germany and Norway, because the Schuko plugs can be reversed, plugged in lamps must not have these kinds of bases there.