Interesting story about bonuses:

I was on a papermill job as a journeyman once where we ran out of inch and a half aluminum conduit. The superintendent would not authorize purchasing more. He said enough was bought to do the project, the workers had put too much in the scrap pile and to dig there, we had plenty of couplings and piece nipples together to finish the run. I couldn't see that this was costworthy.

Found out later that in order to be "fair" to the superintendents on bonuses the company based bonuses on material used as opposed to material taken off. They figured there was so many variables in the hours taken to install material the superintendent would be penalized if the workers were not that good a quality or other natural or material delays ran the labor estimate over. After looking back I now see why this particular superintendent always laid out the runs himself and made me feel like I was not considered a competent journeyman or foreman. He has progressed to high in the company and I hope to never work for that company again.