They look almost like the now obsolete Spanish system, with a blade earth pin rather than a round one.

[Linked Image from upload.wikimedia.org]

I assume the logic behind the IEC 60906-1 proposal is that it allows the very common Europlug [Linked Image from sedu-hair-styles.us] to be retained. Yet, because it's a recessed socket it's impossible to plug any other type of plug into the socket outlet which completely eliminates the risk of older Schuko plugs being connected without the earth.

The CEE standards were the only steps made towards a harmonised European plug and socket system and for the most part, other than in a small minority of countries i.e the UK, Republic of Ireland, Malta and Cyprus they're either fully compliant with CEE 7/7, or at the very least able to use CEE 7/16 the non-grounded Europlug.

Also, with Denmark looking like it's changing to the French version of CEE 7/7 and Italy phasing in a safe and effective dual standard outlet and CEE 7/7 plugs it's really fast becoming a non-issue other than in the UK and Ireland.

Also, I've heard that Malta and Cyprus are phasing out BS1363 in favour of CEE 7/7 as they're having all sorts of chaos importing items with moulded plugs already fitted. It's an EU legal requirement that an appropriate plug be fitted to any appliance sold hence in Ireland and the UK it's legally required that anything sold has a BS1363 plug. But, if you're a tiny country in the mediterranean sorrounded by schuko!

Last edited by djk; 07/26/08 09:05 AM.