I have worked with many types of JW when going through my apprenticeship. Some good some not so good but I remember one thing that has stuck with me and I try and do with all apprentices as I get them over lunch one day a Journeyman took the time to explain what made a good apprentice. This may sound strange but at that stage I hadn't really thought of many of the things he said at least not from his point of view. His view included attitude, dress, as well as using ones memeory (if you did similar before try and antisapate the basic material the JW may need and get it there the less time you have to run around getting material and doing the grunt work the more time you can spend watching and learning something new or refining your skills on day to day tasks. Once I heard just how to be the best I could be (at least in his eyes) then I had a goal to work towards. This goal also allowed me to guage just how well I was doing in the trade.

Today I train electrical basics for the company I work for on a fairly regular bases and I have found in the first hour of the training I take some time to let each person know what not only is expected of them but what I consider a good student to be. In truth only about 40% of those I start teaching come away with any real insight and the other 60% run for the hills so to speak but of that 40% I have got back some good reports on their efforts.