a green apprentice !

the boxes will get mounted by him, if not at that exact moment and taking a few minutes to explain something to him isn't going to hurt anyone, in fact it may help him better understand WHY he is doing something.

I would be crazy to think a green kid is going to help get the job done, since their day is jam packed with all of menial tasks, and doing actual work is not in the equation, they might get to whip some fixtures or hump pipe up to the 8th floor or move material but they are essentially there to sweep the floor. the intent is to keep them OUT of harms way for a few weeks until they are a bit more acclimated to the enviroment
and then we try to match them with someone who isn't going to scare the hell out of them in the first few weeks, so the cub can start to ask questions and maybe get a little hands on during their very hectic days but being first years they are merely cheap labor under the constant supervision of a Journeyman.

we leave the indoctrinating to the JATC as to how to act and dress, but ultimately ALL apprentices are there to learn, and some days I to get to share my experience with them

I would offer that you take the opportunity to teach him the best of what you know whenever he asks you something or expresses interest

I would take your apprentices curiosity as a good sign and not try to put him off until you have time..

make time, you might have a good one in your care

Tom