66wv,
You mentioned before that you had been working 25 days straight, so you obviously have some irons in the fire. It is possible that you could talk to your customers and get them to pay for the work you have done. Or at least for the materials you have installed. It is not uncommon for contractors to ask for a deposit at the start of the job. Another payment when it is half finish.

It seems you are a moral and upstanding guy. However I do not think that you should pay your helper for the travel time. If he was driving his car to the job would you pay him for that. The answer is no, you are just being a good guy and giving him a ride. You are already saving him the gas money. Also explain to him that there may be sacrafices or he will go back to sweeping leaves.

If you need it I think $10 a man here could help you out. I will send cash, I do not think that you would cash a check.
Scott

Brain fart
[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 12-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by Scotts (edited 12-04-2002).]