I can tell you this, if you make an employee think he/she may be liable financially for mistakes, you will create a double edged sword. One problem would be an employee taking less initiative to do work they have not done before. If my company said for me to personally go fix something that inadvirtantly got left out,on my time I'd tell them to you know what. If I willfully dropped the ball there would definately be a written warning, as stated in our handbook. Neglagence, and mistakes are two very different things, and who's to say which. You need to get it in writing, warnings signed by employee.
Another thing would be as stated in the original post, a wirenut falling off is poor workmanship. If you send the same employee to trouble shoot his own work, and he reports back to you(the boss) that his work was the reason for the call back, said employee is too honest, and too stupid. if said employee finds loose wire connection and fixes it, I'd hope he could cover his own ass, and "find" another problem. Thats just my honest 2cents