Quote
While a weak signal on analog TV will result in snow or occasional picture tearing, the picture and sound is at least somewhat usable even down to quite low signal levels. A signal below a certain critical level will give you NOTHING on a digital setup. If the signal fades in and out, it is like trying to watch internet streaming video over a dialup connection. Constant pauses and dropouts in picture AND sound.

Exactly what I heard...

We have satellite anyway, so the only person noticing the analog shutdown was yours truly... and I simply stopped watching TV. I think the only time I watched TV during the last year was when my girlfriend wanted to wtach one special dance show with me. That was one evening in a full year.
Now I only use my TV as a video monitor.

My late 1950s TV is unuseable now... it's only got VHF reception, so not even a chance to use it with a converter box with RF output.
I havent used it for years anyway since I suspect faulty capacitors but don't feel confident working on a TV set (so far my electronis experiences have been limited to minor solid state work under close supervision).