Originally Posted by Texas_Ranger
Personally I really prefer having one or a few 25mm2 risers instead of a huge bundle of 5x10mm2 going to each apartment. If they get long enough you'll even have to upsize to 16mm2 or more to account for voltage drop... no thanks.
Pulling 20m 5x10mm2 through 40mm flexible conduit with at least 9 90 degree bends over two floors was one of my worst experiences when I worked for an electrical contractor. We ended up cutting open each conduit to pull on.

9x 90 degree bends?
Mate, this is where poor planning gets you.
In all the planning work I've ever done, you look to make the work easier for those in the field.
I'm also all for the rising main idea, it makes sense, this could be why it's used the world over.
Djk,
That is a very good document, if people can't understand that, there is no helping folks.
Just one point about metering in this country, there are a lot of places here where the meters are still attached to the switch-board inside the house.
If there is an upgrade in size of service line here, regardless of wether the line is under-grounded or not, you are required to install a new meter enclosure on the outside of the house.
Oddly enough, the owner of the house has to pay for this.
Once the place has been hooked up again, if you have a large or dangerous dog, you will be asked to fence the side of your house off so that the meter-reader or Inspector will not be attacked by a vicious dog, this has happened in the past.