The manual from Sandia National Labs is an excellent reference.

If the solar array is going on the roof of the dwelling, it will need GfCI protection. Also the roof must be able to support the weight plus if it ever snows it has to support that weight too.

Aiming, tilt, and shadowing on the arrays from surrounding obstructions are just a few things you need to know need to know and understand prior doing the work. What type of inverter, charge controller are you planning to wire? Although it may not be a big as a problem in NC as it is here in Alaska is the open voltage (Voc) of the array is an issue. There are charge controllers out there where you can wire the array at a higher voltage which has many benefits like voltage drop. In colder climates the open voltage can be a problem.

I presume (never assume) that there are batteries involved. It is essential to understand the different types and charging characteristics. Grounding a system can cause heartburn. It is a matter to understand what you are installing before more specifics can be explained.

The problem with changing over to "green" power is the average home is not wired in a manner where alternative energy is economically viable. The bigger the system you need, exponentially the cost goes up and it is the home owner's responsibility to maintain it. Reducing your electrical needs is good start. Up here there are hundreds of folks living remotely that rely on these systems for all of their lights and power. They are tickled pink with their systems. Sizing the system takes a sharp pencil and whole lot of knowledge. It is much easier to design a building power to meet the power supply instead of sizing the system to meet the building needs.

It is a growing industry and it behooves sparkies not to jump on the band wagon but it you get in it and it get deep really quick, you will be in deep doo-doo. I recommend professional training and certification. I know of only one certification. All I know about is that it is the only one I have come across and sound like a good program. I have no idea what weight it carries being certified by them. If anyone has any insight on this, please share.

http://www.nabcep.org/

"Live Awesome!" - Kevin Carosa