< ADD MY 2¢ MODE = ENABLED >

because of the capacitors in many refs and im guessing inductive reactance in heating appliances a good, working, safe, functional piece of equipment of these types will trip gfci receptacles.

Nahhh, that sounds like another of those "Urban Electrical Myths".

If the load device is leaking a high level of Current to another Conducting path, rather than retaining the "Majority Load Current" between the 2 (or 3) Circuit Conductors, then there is a Fault Issue incorporated within the Equipment.

If a Class A (6 ma trip threshold) GFCI Receptacle device is tripping with a Cord-Connected Appliance connected to it, there's obviously a leakage hazard.

A GFCI device _SHOULD NOT_ trip from the starting of Split Phase Induction Motors - because of one little thing: Kirchoff's Law.

The Leading (or Lagging) Current which is "established" by the Auxiliary Winding's Resistance-to-Reactance Ratio, is derived from the same source as the Main "Run" Winding's load Current.
The two currents will flow through the GFCI device, with each one being equal across the two wires of the monitored circuit.

Are all Refrigerator Compressor Motors Capacitor Start?
I figured the larger sized ones would be Cap Start (and possibly Cap Start/Run), whereas smaller and less expensive ones would be simple Split Phase Resistance Start Motors.

If there is a GFCI trip at start, chances are the Aux. Winding is leaking to the Motor's Frame, or the Start Switch is throwing a fat, sustained arc to the Motor's Frame, as it begins to open.

Seems to me if the GFCI was at the Breaker, set at 3 ma trip level, with the Branch Circuit being REALLY LONG, (and possibly run in a damp location for most of its length), AND the Refrigerator's Compressor Motor is mounted right where the condensation collects (so condensed water enters the Motor or enters frayed sections of the Cord), then we might have a "Weener" (Winner).

Not that all GFCI's developed now are 100% "Nuiscance Trip Free", but they have evolved drastically in the past 30+ years.

I agree with the consepts introduced by Article 210.8 (B)(2), to include GFCI Protection in Commercial Environments - mostly due to the Floor Cleaning scenario mentioned by others, but also from some Troubleshooting scenarios I have resolved in the past, where Personnel complain of being shocked by Refrigeration Appliances.

Most were due to either the Door Switch failure, or an internal light fixture failing, setting up a Ground Fault hazard - and the Cord was either missing its ground pin, or someone "fixed" the tripping breaker problem, by placing one of those "Ground Cheater Adapters" on the Plug.

There were a few caused by leaking elements on the Appliance, and a couple from certain installation Persons following the old:
"Grounding Conductor?..., we don't need no stinking Grounding Conductor",
and similar types of Philosopy.

In all these cases, the EGC was not effectively able to carry Ground Fault Currents.

I talked with P&S legrand tech support to ask if they had come up with some kind of 'smart' gfci to address the tripping issues with the stuff the only answer he had was to install grade B gfci (circuit breaker) protection which he rightly said defeats the purpose of the personnel protection.(honestly I was unaware that the breakers had a higher trip threshhold until he advised me)

That's really scarry to know a Manufacturer's Represenative would spew out such trash!!!

GFPE is not GFCI, and vise-versa.
GFPE is like at a 30 ma level, and is not a "Protection for Personnel" device.

< / END SUB "ADD MY 2¢" >

Scott " 35 " Thompson
Just Say NO To Green Eggs And Ham!