Originally Posted by renosteinke
First of all, I've seen plenty of UL Standards, and they all reference the NEC.

Of course. smile

Originally Posted by renosteinke
I am not aware of UL ever listing something that is inherently in conflict with the NEC.

Actually if you think about it, it happens all the time.

For example an electrical enclosure might be listed for use in 'wet locations' but that does not mean it can go in any wet location without regard for other code sections that may apply.

Lets say the wet location is also a Class 1 Div 1 location. I can't say the enclosure is OK to use there simply because it is a wet location and the fixture is wet location listed.

Lets say the wet location is beside a pool for a lighting transformer.

Can I use any wet listed enclosure or must I also comply with 680.24?

I could probably go on quite awhile finding things that you see as conflicts and I see as knowing the code before you pick equipment.

IF that same appliance had instructions that said 'no GFCI,' then 110.3B would be enforceable.

Would it be?

The fact is 110.3(B) only applies to instructions included in the 'listing or labeling' we have no way of knowing right know if the the 'No GFCI' instruction is in fact part of the listing or labeling or is just one of many suggestions.

Sure looks like a code conflict to me.

I guess it's in the eye of the beholder.

It seems you are hell bent on finding conflicts in the NEC either real or perceived and I don't understand why. confused

Bob Badger
Construction & Maintenance Electrician
Massachusetts