Found these pictures I'd taken during my days in maintenance work that I had never gotten developed. A minor example of the slip-shod guess-work that goes on under the radar in a lot of apartment complexes.

These are all photos of the electric range cord connections. In the time I was there, I replaced or repaired dozens of ranges and never once found one were the cord was wired 100% right. These photos show the common violations:

Picture 1: Despite the fact that the apartments were wired for four-wire range receptacles all the original ranges were bottom of the line, pure 240 volts, and required no neutral because there were no bells-n-whistles that required 120 volt loads. When it came time to replace the cord, the installer found himself with a pesky extra white wire. Not only did they end up creating a hard connection between the EGC and the neutral [250.6(A), 250.6(B), 310.4], but there is no jumper between that terminal and the case of the stove, so the range is still ungrounded [250.140]. Also, if you look closely you'll see that the cord jacket was stripped back too far and the cord clamp is actually tightened on the individual conductors [Maybe 300.4?].

[Linked Image]

Picture 2: This is a newer stove that replaced the straight 240V models.
Probably a different maintenance man installed these: No connector this time [400.10 and 400.14], but the bonding jumper in still intact. I never once saw a four-wire stove where the bonding jumper had been removed [250.6(A) and 250.6(B)].

[Linked Image]

It's a shame I never got pictures of the water-heater installs. Between the electrical, plumbing, and general building violations (one replacement water heater was balanced on a single 4" x 4" post to raise it to the existing pipes) these photos are tame.

-BigJohn