I don't think it's a secret around here that I like old equipment, so sign me up for the Luddite Club as well! wink

There have been wonderful advances in technology. I've just been sorting out some old computer parts, and I have in front of me a 10MB full-height hard disk and a 128KB full-length expansion board from an old AT. It's almost incredible to think that a little more than 20 years later we can cram 200GB+ onto a disk a fraction of the size and at least a thousand times as much RAM onto a tiny strip about 4 inches long, not to mention that 128MB of RAM today costs a fraction of what 128KB cost 20+ years ago.

Yet I can't help feeling that so much of these advances are either being abused, or at best not being made the possible use of. Computers are certainly a prime example.

I'll see somebody using a fancy Windows word processor to write a simple letter. It won't run with anything less than 50MB of disk space and 2MB of RAM. Does it reformat a paragraph any faster than you could do with a 30-year-old version of Wordstar on a CP/M system? Quite often the answer is no. And Wordstar could be run from a single floppy with a mere 64KB of RAM. What's more, it was a darn sight easier to use too.

I don't have objections to making something as complex as it needs to be to do the job, but I don't see the point in introducing unnecessary complexities just for the sake of it.

the 386 desktop with DOS 4.01 but I know that they shall rise again.

The system that I maintain for the local taxi company is running DOS 4.01. It was a deliberate decision on my part when I set them up about 6 years ago, along with the custom software that I wrote under Borland's Turbo Pascal 5.

I still have 3 with rotary dial, the rest are still Western Electrics and all of them are corded

Same here. I have a few Western Electric 500 sets, and GPO 700-series which were the nearest British equivalent of the same era. The newest (POTS) phone I have is a 1980s ITT 2500 TouchTone set.

Some (most) of the modern phones are junk. It's all about supposed style -- Weird shaped buttons arranged in odd ways, horrible handsets that are uncomfortable to use, etc., not to mention the overall poor construction quality.

By the way, I have about 300 LP's left from my collection, but nothing to play them on.

I'm an avid record collector: LPs, 45s, and 78s. I probably have more turntables around than would be considered normal, including a number of Garrard and Goldring-Lenco units from the 1960s (Garrard is a favorite -- See my post in the nostalgia area). In fact the newest deck I have is a Pioneer unit from the mid-1970s.

As most of my records are 1950s/1960s though, it somehow wouldn't be appropriate to use anything newer.

Tell you what: I'd just about gotten use to younger people having never seen a 78rpm record before. But it still came as something of a shock the other day when I was chatting with a kid about 45s and the response was "What's that?"

[Linked Image]

Last edited by pauluk; 06/13/07 09:17 AM. Reason: Add image for fellow Luddites!