Hello all.

I just discovered this forum tonight and spent the last half hour reading a few topics. I'm in need of some advice from anyone who cares to give it.

I'm a college grad (Electronic Media) and have spent the past 5 yrs of my life working in the media field as a videographer/editor.

In so many words I'm burnt out on the ratings motivated media. I used to be able to look past it, but can no longer stomach it. I know EVERY business has something undesirable, but I've seen some rather ugly things in ALL aspects of my job. I keep telling myself to get out of the business and start a new career, but it's difficult when you've put so much time into something.

I've been talking with friends, relatives, etc who are in the electrical field and they have nothing but GREAT things to say about it.

The city in which I live has a GREAT appren/training program (IBEW) and I applied a few months ago, took the math and comprehension test, passed and now have a interview scheduled. If all goes well I'll start the training in Feb.

I'm not afraid to work hard, physically and mentally. I enjoy it. I like working outside, constructing something from beginning to end and feeling some sort of accomplishment when a job is done right. I plan to take my training and expanding on it by getting a Electrical Engineering degree some time in the future if this all pans out.

Now that I just laid all that background on you, what advice can you give me as to what to expect if accepted. What's it like starting off? Going through the training? Hours? Days? Nights? Go periods of not working? How it affects your marriage?

I know this is VERY vague, but any advice or insight would really help me out.

Thanks.