Welcome to the world of business!

Regular customers are the lifeblood of any business. Rather than seeking an endless supply of 1-shot customers, try to find and nurture a handful of customers who regularily supply you with work- and pay on time! Property managers. store chains, local government are examples.

Do not try to sell on price- you're only running a charity if you do! Rather, sell on service, quality, and being able to do things the other guy can't.
Many times you will have the chance to fix someone else's mess....here is your chance to show what a real pro can do! After fixing a few messes, the customer will see the wisdom of calling you the first time.

And- don't forget apperances matter. I was amazed at the difference having a utility body truck made in the way customers saw my business. I was now a "real" contractor! The same goes for clothes, paperwork, etc.

Document the heck out of your jobs...sooner or later you will be asked "do you know where that circuit went?"

Finally, some have been put off by trades that look at the scope of their work too narrowly. Patch your sheetrock holes, clean up your mess, etc. Where possible, have your own tools, rather than relying on the customer to supply the ladder, etc.
Odds are, the local "handyman" just might prefer to do, say, carpentry- maybe you and him can refer each other.