Who needs to compete with that? They'll dry up and blow away soon enough.
I think a few indians said that when the white man showed up.
I was bothered by the " Handyman" thing,but that was residential and they couldn't legally do service work. Now I have lost commercial business. Same idea but differant name " Maintenance Contractor ". These sneaky fellows have gone in the motels, apartments and some office buildings. They go in and offer a contract to do plumbing , electrical, HVAC and anything else for $20 to $25 an Hr. They pay their people about $9. They do turn key work, change out fixtures, receptacles, switches and at the same time replace the broken tile in the bathroom. I think a lot of electricians are going out of business before these guys do. I went on a job for a realestate investment company 2 weeks back and they had their cleaning lady changing fixtures, recpt.,switches. She had allready been bit once, could easily be killed. These people don't care. $6 an hr. easy to replace. There are still real electrical jobs out there but as the pool drys up, more contractors to compete for the remaining jobs. For every handyman or maintenance contractor that goes out of business two take his place. Remember a lot of these people work under the table and without insurance. What they make, they keep. I have seen some nice new trucks for not making any money. we electrical contractors have always been an independent breed and that's our weakness. No political clout. If all the trades joined togather we might have something but that's not going to happen. You might try the services that screen contractors for homeowners, most of the fly by night outfits can't pass muster.