One of a couple things are happening here.
I'll try to tackle one.
Normally, I device after paint.

Having said that, I'll device rooms, and leave the tapers and painters the responibility for protecting the devices if they start blaming us for being behind.
Lights are on them, they are responible for their own temp lighting. I don't care if the Homeowner wants them up now, I don't do it.

Common sense plays a part in this as well, try to stay ahead of people, you have to keep up. If you need help, go get it. Pay another guy for a day or two to get ahead of others. If the bedrooms are first to get painted, knock them out first, that'll buy you a couple days to do something else. Get out of their way, they stay out of yours.

Some Homeowners want to be their own Gc as well, and no have idea what logistics are. They just assume that the painter can paint, the plumber, the Electrician and the Hvac guy can all work in the same room at the same time, while they sip their Latte'. They are ignorant to trades.

Don't let them get under your blood, shug it off, be as polite as you can.

However, if this bothers you, you need to get use to it, it happens alot doing new resi work, not just the homeowner, sometimes Gc will bug you every 5 minutes and want you to stop this and do this. That drove me bananas.

Good luck,

Dnk.......