Nice finds, Paul!

Quote
As I read the code, orange is really only a suggested color for the high-leg on a 4w delta, not mandatory...

That is how I read it as well. Anyone know of any jurisdictions where "other effective means" are used? [Linked Image]

Quote
The 1971 NEC says the same thing in article 200-6(c), just with slightly different wording, but has a bar indicating a change beside the part which mentions orange or other effective means.


Paul, how'd you think to look for this in Article 200? I wouldn't have found it there, that's for sure! I guess since it only applies where the neutral is present in the enclosure, it makes some amount of sense to put it in Article 200 (the present-day requirement applies whether the neutral is present or not).

Quote
Could this be when the orange high-leg was added to the code?

Yes, that's when it was added. '68 prescribes "tagging or other effective means."

Quote
I can't find anything in the 2002 code against doing that, but it seems as though it would have been a violation at one time. 1971 NEC, article 210-15(c)...

Paul, I think you are referring to 210-5(c). There is no 210-15 in the '71 NEC. Here is 210-5(c) in the '75 NEC:

Quote
(c)Ungrounded Conductor. Ungrounded conductors of different voltages shall be of different color or identified by other means.

210-5(c) disappears entirely in '78, its relevant information having been moved to 310.10 in '75.