And to our new U.K. members, do you have any memories of the 1970s power problems?

Indeed I do. Like you I was a boy - two years older than you - and looked forward to the sense of cameraderie and adventure these cuts brought [Linked Image]

If we were really lucky, it might mean a day off school!
Ah, well I had the advantage there...I boarded at school [Linked Image] It was great when the whole outfit was plunged into darkness; 120 boys 7-13yo with harrassed teachers wondering where the hell half of them were!!! Some of us had candles and tilly lamps that our parents brought for us [Linked Image]. It was all great fun - LOL trying to do prep by the light of the gas fire and about three candles in the class!! Fortunately the cooking was gas so we ate ok, but the heating hot water was oil-fired so it was cooooolish.
Can you just imagine the outrage, panic and absolute hysteria that would occur now under the same circumstances in a school!!?? [Linked Image] We all got on with it. It was exciting and different, and life just went on as best as possible, I suppose in those days we DID "just get over it/on with it" not like now.. [Linked Image]
but I remember the prices jumping from about 40 pence to 60 pence a gallon almost overnight.
I wish it would do that again!! [Linked Image] 60 pence??? Wouldn't that be nice!!
Except for the lawsuits...
Uhuh...welcome to the new millennium!

Oh to be a kid again
Amen to that my friend...

[This message has been edited by uksparky (edited 07-10-2004).]

If hindsight were foresight, we'd all be millionaires!