Paul,

Also many of those lists are extremely out of date. Many countries have standardised on 220-230V 50Hz or 110-120V 60Hz while they're still listed as using odd obsolete systems e.g. 127V 50Hz.

If you're using EU or US setup you've got access to a vast array of appliances. If you're on something weird, you're kinda limited.

Although, that being said, I'm sure there are still one or two far flung places with odd voltages out there.

127V 50/60Hz can cause damage to some US appliances and 250V 50Hz can damage some EU appliances.

If travelling to far flung non-listed type places, it's worth buying a cheap plug in voltage/freq meter and checking the local conditions before plugging anything valuable in!

If you're travelling to W. Europe or N. America, Aus/NZ, most of S.E asia etc you'll be fine. You'll get what it says on the tin. I'd check in parts of Africa, south america, less developed parts of asia and definitley on small island-nations where older systems could still be in existance.

It's often far better to ask for local advice, e.g. the local electrical retailer, than relying on these guides.

Also, I'd suggest wiring a trailing socket (of your choice) to an IEC plug. Then you can bring a US plug and an EU plug.. and any other types can be easily purchased and connected locally... just buy (local plug) to IEC cable.. standard PC lead. It's a very workable sollution if you're ever backpacking across S.E asia etc

[This message has been edited by djk (edited 02-19-2006).]