To quote from the original aticle:
"In adopting the USA configuration, the pins of the Australian design were shortened by 3 mm in length".
Only a couple of months back I bought some more old bakelite fittings from the markets. I didn't realise it at the time but looking through my stash when I got home revealed something which I believe is of historical signifigance:
[Linked Image]
The thing I noticed about this Clipsal plug was the pins were longer than normal. Sure enough comparing to a modern plug:
[Linked Image]
It can be seen there's a difference of about 3mm.
So, it would appear that this Clipsal plug is pre Australian standards and should be identical to the obsolete US 3 pin design which we adopted. I have never seen another plug like it...and I've seen a lot of bakelite. It does go right into every socket I tried it in, so perhaps the socket depth is still required to take into account the pre 1937 standard.

While still on historical theme, to quote again
"Some American plugs, sockets and cord extension sockets were imported and these were of the flat pin type, ie 2-pin flat pin plug with the pins parallel"
This is probably one such example made by General Electric. I got it of an ancient power board which was also fitted with some equally ancient 3 pin sockets as well as some nice brass BC sockets. It's perhaps surprising there were no British sockets.
[Linked Image]
Notice it's rated for 250V use...whether those sold in the US are rated at that I don't know. One aspect of the two pin US configuration we never did adopt here was the polarised version (ie. one pin wider than the other). Since locally made stepdown transformers often use the locally made Clipsal socket it's impossible to plug in some US appliances if they have the polarised plug. Also, the local version of the plug does not have holes in the ends of the pins.

[This message has been edited by aussie240 (edited 01-08-2006).]

[This message has been edited by aussie240 (edited 01-08-2006).]