The parallel vs. tandem issue should be considered separate from the 125 vs. 250 issue......

Many thanks for that excellent explanation. [Linked Image]

This is another of those issues where things start to make sense once you get the history behind it (and I'm a firm believer that in many technical fields we should be teaching newcomers not just current standards but also enough of the historical development to give them an understanding of how we got to where we are today).

It's easy to look at these varying connector configurations today and say we could have come up with a more standardized system, but the T-slot recepts. would have been a quite logical arrangement to adopt at a time when both parallel and tandem-blade plugs were in use for the same voltage.

Re: Aussie vs. Chinese plugs:

Plugs with these longer pins are illegal and actually dangerous; they should be discarded.
While I can come up with several reasons for avoiding Chinese stuff altogether, I can't help feeling that this is over-reacting somewhat. Is one whole extra millimeter on the length of the pins really going to turn a safe connector into a shock hazard?